RYA Competent Crew Course
The RYA Competent Crew course is designed to make you just that. Rather than sitting in the cockpit while things happen around you, you will gain the knowledge and confidence to be an active crew member; able to helm a vessel under motor and sail, understand the various parts of the boat and rigging including rope work and winch use, have a practical understanding of Man Over Board recovery and generally go from being along for the ride to being a safe and useful crew member. Other topics we will cover include; meterology, tides, emergency situations and fire fighting, personal safety kit, boat safety kit, sea sickness and general duties.
The majority of the course will take place around the Fal Estuary, Helford Passage and surrounding coastline of Cornwall. We are lucky to be able to call this Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty our base, there are various marinas, visitors pontoon, moorings and anchorages so we have everything on our door step. As part of the course we need to undertake a longer passage, the destination is decided by the conditions on the course but a trip to Fowey is normally the plan. This gives another port to explore, different buoyage to navigate and some lovely pubs for dinner!
The Competent Crew sailing course covers a lot of topics and we want to be out on the water as much as possible, so we run full days often into the evening, typically breakfast is around 7:30 and we are looking to start sessions by 8:30. If there aren’t any night exercises planned we would be looking to be moored up for the night by 18:30, although planning for the next day may well continue after dinner. All timings are pretty flexible depending on conditions and how time can be used most efficiently to give you the best course possible.
All our RYA sailing courses start in Mylor Yacht Harbour close to Falmouth and Truro, unless otherwise agreed. We provide free car parking for all our course participants.
This is for beginners and those who would like to become active crew members rather than just passengers. By the end of the course you should be able to steer, handle sails, keep a lookout, row a dinghy and assist in all the day to day routines.
- For mixed group courses our teaching ratio is 1:4
- For private courses our maximum ratio is 1:5
- We use all three of our boats for training – About our boats – Take A Turn Yachting
- All of our boats are a similar size and are a 3 cabin layout.
- Breakfasts and lunch are included for each day.
- 4 evening meals are provided
- 1 evening we will go ashore for dinner – the cost of this is not included.
- There is always plenty of snacks onboard, cereal bars, fruit etc but if you have any specific favourite snacks it is best to pack some your self.
- Teas, coffees, herbal teas, squash and juice are onboard.
- Please do notify us at the time of booking about any specific dietary requirements.
- Everyone is expected to pitch in with the preparation of meals and drinks through out the day. Meals are generally made in advance and frozen so they can be cooked easily throughout the week.
- The majority of our courses take place on our larger 2 boats, these are both 3 cabin boats.
- Your instructor will take one cabin.
- This leaves 2 cabins and the saloon berths for the group.
- A single occupancy rate is offered if you would prefer to have a cabin to yourself.
- If we have a small group and our 33ft boat is available we may choose to take this rather than cancel a course.
The RYA Competent Crew course is designed to run with a crew of other Competent Crew participants or with RYA Dayskipper Candidates.
- Lifejackets and safety kit
- Food onboard
- Marina fees
- Passport picture for your certificate
- Copy of your theory certificate
- Waterproof jacket and trousers
- Sailing footwear – non-marking nonslip soles, wellies and or shoes
- Anti seasickness medication
- Any required medication
- Layers to go under waterproofs
- Hats, cap and woolie hat
- Warm clothes for the evenings
- Sleeping bag and pillow
- Phone charger and 12v plug
- Note book and pencils
- Refillable water bottle
- Head torch with a red light function (not essential but useful)
- Spare glasses if you need corrective lenses
- Wash kit and towel
- Foam earplugs
- A soft bag is far better than a suitcase
We have waterproof trousers available to rent for £30 per course, please let us know if you require these when you book on.
To book or find out more about our RYA courses please use the contact form below or give us a call.